Sunday, March 3, 2013

One Month Of God's Faithfulness



WOW!!!  It truly has been a crazy week.  I’ve experienced this week just a little bit of what it means to be a Haitian.

I moved from my nice, cozy, air conditioned, electricity all day, running water 24/7, unlimited WIFI access, and an actual bed apartment on the white sandy beach to the crèche.  Here I have only a limited amount of water which contributes to showers only a couple times a week…unless I do a bucket shower.  The electricity is limited to a couple hours at night and subsequently no air conditioners.   I have a charcoal grill to do my cooking on and a nice tile floor or a broken down futon with large holes in it for my bed.  Instead of waking up to the sound of my alarm at around 7am I will be waking up now at about 6am to the sound of children running around and playing.   Also, I get a ton of company here at night. I’ve been visited by geckos, mosquitoes, gnats, flies, big nasty spiders, and last night I had a friendly cockroach decide to climb up my arm.  So, it’s been a little bit of an adjustment (and it will continue to be) from the American living I am used to.   However, it is giving me more of a glimpse of what Haitians go through on a daily basis.  Making food takes twice as long.  Cold showers are a treasured thing…at least I’ve been told.  I haven’t had one yet since moving in here.  And then seeing as how there isn’t a washer or a dryer I will be learning how to wash clothes by hand.     

Nonetheless, despite all of the changes and differences one thing hasn’t changed…and that’s God’s faithfulness.  This week I was reading through the story of Moses and time and time again God proves faithful and true to the Israelites.  I have felt like the Israelites ever since I’ve been in Haiti.  Moving to an entirely different country where the culture is totally different than anything I am used to isn’t always an easy thing.  Yet, just like how God proved true to the Israelites through every circumstance, He has done so with me as well.  Just some examples of His faithfulness within this first month here: God has provided finances for me to be here.  He has given me creativity with what to share with the kids every day.  He has helped me adjust to the totally new everything here in Haiti.  He provided a fridge, a microwave (boo radiation…but I’ll use it some :p) a soccer ball and a basketball, a dirt bike for me to use, a coffee pot (probably the most important item ;) and most of all, He has given me peace about everything here and He has shown me that He never leaves or forsakes His kids. 

After Moses and the Israelites crossed the Red Sea they (millions of people) worshiped and praised God.  Last night, as I sat on the rooftop I read Exodus 15 which is titled The Song of Moses.  It is an amazing chapter and an amazing song about how God is faithful to those that follow Him.  I want to share a few of those verses with you. 

Exodus 15:1, 2, 6, 7, 11, 13, 17, & 18
“I will sing to the Lord, for He has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider He has thrown into the sea.  The Lord is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.  Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power, your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.  In the greatness of your majesty you overthrow your adversaries; you send out your fury; it consumes them like stubble.  Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods?  Who is like you majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders? You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed.  You have guided by your strength to your holy abode.  You will bring them (your people) in and plant them on your own mountain, the place, O Lord, which your hands have established.  The Lord will reign forever and ever.”

This song blessed me a tremendous amount…and I hope it does with you.  I would suggest to all those that haven’t read through Exodus in a while to do so.  It’s a story we’ve heard a thousand times, but there is so many truths and if you’re like me, one looking for God to prove Himself faithful, then it’s a great book to boost your confidence in Him. 

So to wrap up, it’s been one month since I’ve been here.  The time has gone by so fast.  And since it has been a groundbreaking month I thought it would be fun to do something different on my blog.  So, within the next couple of days up to a week, be looking for a surprise on hereJ  I’m sure you will enjoy it…whatever it is ;)  

Stay strong my friends and know God IS faithful…no matter what you are going through.  So until next time my fellow soldiers…

My new room :)







2 comments:

  1. Shane! My faith is boosted as I read what God is doing in your life, and in your heart! Each time I read your new blog post and I see your write, "But...God is faithful," (or something like that), I get excited because I see you totally growing in Him, and He in you!! =) Praise His name!

    Thanks for sharing Exodus 15. I love that line, "You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed." That's what He has done, and is doing, in your life! And a promise I can cling to - He will lead me.

    I'm so glad for all that you're going through - good and bad - cause I know it's an opportunity for you to grow closer to your King!

    Love you, and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...what a colorful place to live! Thanks for sharing the photos; it helps to picture where you're staying. But even more than that, thanks for continuing to share your heart...and what the Lord is teaching you through this journey.

    Keep seeking and smiling for Jesus.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete