Monday, March 25, 2013

The Little Joys


As an American missionary to Haiti sometimes the common drinks, Coke and Sprite, and the main dish, rice and beans, becomes a little less desired and sometimes our taste buds crave more specific foods and drinks.

Our week started last Monday with a long but fun couple of Tap Tap rides to Port-Au-Prince and then a couple Moto rides around Port.  We were there picking up the newest member of our team, Emily Brown. (www.beconsecrated.wordpress.com).  However, before we went to the airport to pick her up we made a little stop at The Eagle Superstore.   This is a missionary’s dream store.  They have pickles, hummus, a very wide variety of meats and cheeses, pops and cereals that cannot be obtained anywhere else, and all kinds of other goodies.  I specifically scored on a few desired items.  

I was strolling down the beverage isle when all of the sudden there it was!  It caught my eyes like nothing has in quite in a while.  Sitting there shinning beneath the light was a beautiful, wonderful stack of A&W Root Beer.  I was definitely a happy camper.  Since we were limited to space I only got five cans. So they have been savored each and every time I have cracked the tab on one of them this week.

When I was a child there was a certain cereal that we would get every once in a while that we all enjoyed very much.  It brought us much joy and great entertainment as we did the same search and find that has been on the back of the box ever since I can remember.  Coming in second place at 280 Gourdes (which is about $6.50) was King Vitamin.  This delectable source of 11 essential vitamins and iron made this twenty year old man smile in giddy delight as I looked back upon my good ole’ childhood days of eating this cereal.

And nothing is complete, whether a Haitian meal or an American meal, unless it is topped with Franks Red Hot Sauce.  Well, in third place was exactly that.  I missed my hot meal companion ever since I have been in Haiti.  But thanks be to super grocery stores I no longer have to stoop to the off brand hot sauces anymore…mmm, mmm, good!

Along with the joys of food, was also the joy this week of finally getting to play Settlers of Catan.  I found out when I first moved here to the crèche that I was living with three other avid Catan players.  So, from the light of kerosene lanterns we enjoyed a fun game of Catan this past week.

A family arrived on Thursday to assist in some medical areas around the crèche.  It has been fun having them as company.  On Friday, we hiked up the mountain to some beautiful springs where the Haitian people harvest some kind of green leafy plant you can eat.  It was pretty beautiful.

The kids here have definitely enjoyed having this family around as we have gone to the beach, played Red Light Green Light, soccer, arm wrestled,  and had a little dance party where I made a fool of myself (we have some skilled dancers here.) 

Even though we were without electricity and water for all of last week I still had super fun with the joys and comforts that God blessed me with.  And to top off everything, I also got to take a real hot shower last night.   

I believe the theme of my time here in Haiti is God’s faithful and once again He does prove true.  I have learned that along with the everyday needs that God take care of, that God does also take care of the little meaningless things too.  So, I can end last week and start this week with saying God is good and God is faithful.

Mwhen travay poo la Bondye bo …I work for my good God.

My little joys last week




                                       

1 comment:

  1. Yeah baby! Don't ya love the way King Vitamin tears the roof off your mouth? Oh, the sweet memories.

    Love ya,

    Papa

    ReplyDelete