Saturday, February 16, 2013

God's Faithfulness


 Hello World, (Or at least everyone that reads this)

I’ve officially been in Haiti for two weeks now.  The time has gone by so fast…on one hand.  On the other, it feels like the days are so incredibly long.  Either way, two weeks have gone by since I landed here in Haiti.  A lot has happened since then (as you may know if you read my first weeks adventure). 

There became some regularity in my schedule this week as I started my “job”.  However I’ve definitely learned that for anyone who is going to live in Haiti you must be flexible.  This week I had the privilege of doing after school Bible stories and classes with the kids.  I have never done anything like this before so it was a whole new adventure for me in planning and trying to figure out what I was going to teach the kids…keeping in mind that these kids know limited English making me limit my vocabulary to small words and trying to use a lot of interacting games and such.  But, as God called me here, He has been faithful to provide…to provide thoughts and ideas for my time with kids.

There was a running theme this week with the kids and that was love.   I didn’t plan that because of Valentine’s Day.   I actually forgot about Valentines until the actual day :P Anyway, God gave me a lesson for each day starting with how God is our good heavenly father and is always available if want or need to cast our cares upon Him.  We had a fun object lesson casting (throwing) our cares at Jesus.  We ended the week with the story of the Good Samaritan.  Throughout the week we also had fun trying to memorize John 3:16.  I used funny voices with all the kids when practicing the verse.  It was a definite success as the kids learned the verse.  (Thanks Bailey for the goofy voices ideas).  So, I would sum this week up with saying God has been faithful because I have no idea what I’m doing.
 
This week has also been a week of missing family and friends.  Over the last week the reality of me being here for a year has been setting in.  I do enjoy spending time with the kids, however am starting to miss evenings around the table playing cards, late night with close friends, COD rampages with Andrew, and just an all around hanging with good friends and family. However, I keep reminding myself that God has me here for a specific reason and that is evident in how He keeps providing for me in my time here.  God owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalm 50:10) and as Corrie ten Boom prayed when she needed finances, “God, please sell one of your cows.” So aslo God has sold a few cows for me….and just another one went to market this week :D  The Lord has been faithful and will continue to do so for me…because I know this is where I am supposed to be.

Some other fun things that I did this week was: We (Me, the kids, and a couple of the Haitian nannies) went down to the public beach a couple days ago and went swimming in the ocean.   Every Friday night the kids have a movie night.  So last night we all watched Toy Story 2. I got to play basketball in a coliseum style basketball court with a bunch of Haitians.  And as some of you know because of Facebook and Twitter, I got to be part of a mobile Oreo.  Squished between to Haitians on a Moto I got to ride into Montrouis (the town where I live).  It was quite an experience. 

There have been ups and downs this week…as there will be every week.  However amidst the downs I can definitely say that I love my God because He is faithful and He does take care of His children.

Orevwa loved ones!!!

....and some photos from the first couple of weeks in Haiti.
Dinner with my roommates. 
Some of the girls at the Creche.

Tap Tap with Nick and Ryan
Bible study before the Super Bowl :)

Trying to get a coconut...which we did get, eat, and drink. 



3 comments:

  1. Oh Shaner, LOVE your style of sharing...

    ...your adventures, your revelations and your heart.

    Much love,
    Mom

    PS: We feel the void around the kitchen table too...):

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, miss and praying for you,

    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane, this was an amazing post! It was fun to hear about what you did this past week, but, it was also very encouraging to hear how God is at work in your heart!

    There are ups and downs in life - always - but, to be able to say at the end of such a week that God is still faithful, is a testimony to His life in you! Keep seeking Him!

    ReplyDelete